Letter to the editor
Updated: August 13, 2012 1:26PM
Proud of my service
No decision has been as hard as to stand down from my position on the Village of Northbrook’s Senior Services Commission.
When I joined my sole motivation was to improve the well-being and safety of Northbrook seniors. I was willing to do what was necessary to identify opportunities and common sense solutions to many of the issues facing seniors and especially those at Crestwood Place.
As a senior service commission member I had approached the task of great challenges and transformation with new ideas, bold action, and the resilience to overcome resistance to change. The following is a partial list of what has been achieved during my term on the Senior Services Commission:
• No increase in rent at Crestwood Place
• Detailed review of contracts with suggestions, alternatives, and recommendations
• Assessment of Crestwood Place’s financial results with recommendations for improved and transparent reporting; identifying hidden opportunities, pinpointing expenditure priorities, and promoting a “spending wisely” mantra
• Increased the number of disabled parking spots at the Crestwood Place parking lot
• Compliance with elements of the Fair Housing Act Installation of pedestrian crossing signs on the adjacent streets to Crestwood Place. And more!
Northbrook’s aging population has been increasing as life expectancy rises. It is my hope that those who follow me will have the same zeal to improve the status of the Northbrook senior citizens. It is now time to see what others can do. I wish them well.